Saturday, February 13, 2010

Q: Macy's, what have you done for me lately? A: A LOT..check it out!



Many of you know that I have a nice working relationship with Macy's, be it shooting TV spots or hosting events in their stores. Truth is, I pursued Macy's a few years back. They surely didn't pursue me...Macy's is busy, folks.

Why did I want to work with Macy's to begin with? It's simple: I had a good shopping experience there once I discovered a couple of my favorite brands: INC and Alfani. I learned how to break down the intimidating department store experience into more of a boutique experience..and in turn wanted to partner with Macy's for my business, Color My Closet.

2009 was a good year for Color My Closet and Macy's. We partnered on more projects and discussed further collaborations in 2010. I'm excited about this year!

What about you, the consumer? Why should YOU choose to do business with Macy's? As responsible consumers and business owners, lots of us like to do what I call "eco-ethical" business.

We look to buy products and services from vendors who are ecologically and/or ethically compatible with us and our values. They put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Well, here is our list of 10 ways that Macy's put their money where their mouth was in 2009 to make HUGE social impact. Thank you, Milinda Martin, Macy's VP of Media Relations and Cause Marketing, for pointing me in the right direction here!

1. $1 million donated to Make A Wish chapters through our holiday Believe
campaign.

2. $750,000 donated to Feeding America for those using food banks,
through our Come Together campaign -- this equates to 10 million meals.

3. More than $6.5 million donated to Reading is Fundamental for
multicultural libraries and reading programs in Title 1 schools.

4. More than $6 million donated to the American Heart Assn for the Go Red
campaign, educating women on heart health, including their Por Tu Corazon
program for Latinas.

5. $1 million donated to the National Parks Foundation to protect our
natural treasures.

6. More than $16 million donated through the Macy's Foundation to
non-profits throughout the country -- these are smaller regional
charities.

7. More than $1 million donated to various HIV and AIDS organizations.

8. More than $1 million donated to Boys & Girls Clubs through our Thanks
for Sharing program.

9. More than $500,000 raised for local charities through our national
Shop For A Cause program.

10. More than $250,000 donated to the Family Violence Prevention Fund to
raise awareness of domestic violence.

This only scratches the surface of what Macy's has done for the community....my research uncovered dozens of other initiatives from 2009. These are only the highlights!

Live in color!
Lauren

No comments: