Monday, April 6, 2009

How I became a shoe department expert....at least in my own mind



Many of you know about my recent guest appearances at two Macy's/Jones New York events. During the last two weeks I have become a shoe department expert...or at least in my own mind I have. First of all, the stockroom of Macy's shoe department is a numerically organized labyrinth (is that an oxymoron?), understandable only to a select few :). Now I have figured out why it can take several minutes for the shoe salespeople to find your right size and style in the back.

Did you know that there are dozens upon dozens of rows of shoes back there? And these rows go sky high it seems. I had the privilege of going to fetch some shoes for several models at my last two events. As a complete shoe addict, I felt like I had reached shoe heaven back there. The smell of leather and cardboard boxes was intoxicating, but folks, I only had 15 minutes to find some numerically coded shoes! And I was on my own because it was 7:00 a.m. and the Macy's shoe team had not yet arrived.

So there I was literally running through the stock room trying to make sure I could find each classification code, and not get in trouble with any shoe department people who might have arrived early. Well, first I was looking at the wrong code...the department code. Well, all shoes have the same department code....duh! After taking 5 minutes to figure that one out, I proceeded to use the style code as my guide. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I might very well have set a retail speed record last week when I successfully found 4 pairs of shoes within 5 minutes back in that shoe labyrinth. You had to have been there to fully appreciate the moment---it was a sight to see---me running around in the back with several pairs of shoe boxes stacked in my arms.

Too bad I didn't get to stay long enough...there's always next time! The things I do in the name of fashion.....

Live in color!
Lauren

1 comment:

Maria Killam said...

It's true, and it's rare that I get anywhere and buy 4 pairs of shoes. It' used to happen at the outlets but not anymore (not sure why).